Many of you my have met our PADI Course Director Restuning – here we catch up with her to find out what it’s been like taking the Course Director Training Course and becoming the first female Indonesian Course Director!
Check out our Q and A with Restuning here:
- What is your full name?
My full name is Restuning Sandini and I am from Yogyakarta, a small student town in Central Java, Indonesia – but truly I’d say home is Bali!
- When did you first fall in love with diving?
I was in Honduras in 2004 for a wedding of my best friends. Because I had a few days, I went to Bay islands and signed up for am PADI Open Water course. I didn’t know what to expect, but at the moment I put my head underwater during the first dive, I was just feeling home and a tremendous peace. I remember I was watching a moray eel for ages and thought how amazing underwater life is. I was hooked ever since. I knew this is something that I have to do in my life.
- Where in the world have you dived? And when did you become a PADI Instructor?
I’ve dived in Honduras and in Indonesia. I became a PADI Instructor in Bali 2006.
- Where have you worked as an Instructor?
Various places in Indonesia, and Timor-Leste
- What do you like most about teaching diving?
Being the medium who else people to conquer their fear and the find their “home” in the ocean!
- Why did you decide to become a Course Director?
It is the sharing that we CAN follow what sets our hearts on fire, and live a happy life doing the job that we love! Sharing my passion with others is amazing!
- What are you looking forward to about teaching IDC’s?
Training people to train people to blow bubbles properly!
- Why do you think the diving in Indonesia is the best in the world?
The combination of the underwater world, the people and the culture, including food! Indonesia is home to many incredible diving destinations and at Two Fish Divers we have resorts in so many of them.
- Why should people choose to dive with Two Fish Divers?
Because we are serious in our training of PADI Courses – while having fun. People are also made to feel like part of our family as soon as they arrive.
- What do you love about working for Two Fish Divers?
Our locations and our commitment to local growth in terms of training locals and giving them employment opportunities they might not otherwise have had. We are committed in training people to be great instructors – not just passing their exams. From the moment, you step in to my class, it is also stepping into the dive industry! With our locations, we will always support you in your dive career even after the IDC is finished!
- Tell us about your most memorable dive?
Back rolling into a bowl of anchovies! Then the trevallies and mobulas were getting bites of it. Amazing!
- Tell us about what you liked about your CDTC / funny moments / any scary moments
I was in a group with one Iranian, 1 Philipino, 1 Malaysian and 4 Koreans who needed translators to communicate with us. But amazingly, diving crosses boundaries – even linguistic ones! As soon as we are in our gear and underwater, we are just like a big family, and no need for translations to communicate. I was the only girl, but they loved me as I am. We had a lot of laughter together, and they will forever be my Course Director brothers!
- What advice would you give to anyone thinking about taking their IDC?
Same as any education. What you put in, is what you get out. So make commitment to do your training and continue learning – and come and join us at Two Fish Divers so you can experience a range of stunning locations in Indonesia.
- What marine species do you really want to see (but haven’t seen yet)?
Believe it or not, whale shark – I am still waiting for my time to come!
- What is your favourite critter?
- What is your favourite type of diving and why? (drift, photography, muck etc)
I love fast current. All the actions of the reef are so evident – and it makes you understand that sometimes we just have to go with the flow!
So are you thinking about taking you PADI Instructor Development course in Indonesia? With IDC Centres in Gili Air, Nusa Lembongan, Amed and Bunaken we would love to have you on board and to learn with Restuning. If you have any questions at all about joining us, fill in the form below and we will get right back to you!