Belongas Bay Day Trip with hammerheads
Rp1,650,000 2dives, minimum 2 persons
Transport Rp400,000 /car
We run the Belongas Bay day trip from our PADI 5 Star Center in Sekotong, South Gili’s, only a 60min car ride. We can organise hotel pickups from any hotel in South Lombok – Kuta, Gili Asahan, etc – as well as from the Northern Gili islands and Senggigi.
Belongas Bay Day Trip Schedule
Why Choose Two Fish for your belongas bay day trip
Our Two Fish dive service includes:
- As a PADI 5* Dive Center your safety is our main concern, and our dive equipment is fully maintained.
- We dive in small groups of no more than four guests per experienced dive guide, organised according to air consumption and dive experience. We also like long dives, we just ask you to surface after 75mins or on 40bar.
- Our dive guides are expert guides, PADI Certified Dive and eco-friendly. We operate a no-touch policy.
- We have oxygen and first aid available on every diving trip.
- We have a “wash and store service” – all dive gear is loaded onto boats in the morning, and removed and washed after your diving, so all you need to do is DIVE.
- We organise a hotel pick-up/drop service from/to your hotel giving you a hassle free day that you can enjoy to the fullest!
Having been in Indonesia for more than 20 years we know how to keep you safe
Pelagic Seasons for Belongas Bay Day Trips
The Hammerhead season is June-Oct when the currents will be at their strongest around the “hammerhead sites” of The Magnet and The Cathedral. These dives are very exciting, challenging “adrenalin dives”, that also offer fairly regular sightings of schooling Barracudas, Tuna and other pelagic life, as well as schooling Mobula Rays and Eagle Rays during August and September.
Outside the hammerhead season the currents are not so strong and the schooling pelagics have moved on, but you can still see amazing underwater life such as batfish and sea snakes, and pristine corals with plenty of macro life including nudibranchs, pigmy seahorses, and oranghutan and porcelain crabs.
Safety Requirements for Belongas Bay Day Trips
Please note that we have very stringent safety requirements for diving Belongas Bay such as minimum 100 logged dives (that can be proved). Please see below for more details.
Belongas Bay Diving Highlights
In Belongas Bay you’ll find an unspoiled underwater paradise with pristine reefs, an intact environment, and impressive diving with huge marine diversity!
Famous for its dive sites “The Magnet” and “The Cathedral”, the seasonable sighting of schooling barracudas, tunas, and other pelagic life is fairly regular. Apart from the mobula- and eagle ray season during September, hammerheads have the tendency to school around the Magnet end June until late October.
- Belongas Bay can be reached in 60 minutes car ride from our dive centre in Sekotong, South Lombok
- Some dive sites are located out of the bay where we have often high waves and strong currents. Other dive sites are protected by the bay and has milder conditions.The topography of most of the dive sites are pinnacles and enormous bolders.
- The dive site The Magnet is by now worldwide famous for the hammerhead sharks and its unpredictable currents. The Cathedral is the second dive site situated out of the bay with the same unpredictable conditions. Gili Sarang is the dive site where you can find schooling mobula and eagle rays.
Safety Requirements for Belongas Bay Day Trips
The Hammerhead season is June-Oct, during this time you can see schooling Hammerheads and Mobula Rays. However, during this time the currents will be at their strongest and you need to be an Advanced diver with a minimum of 100 logged dives and minimum age 18, and we also need a minimum of 2 divers to arrange a day trip.
During May-November the currents are not so strong, you still need to be an advanced diver but have a minimum of 50 logged dives.
Please note: There will be a mandatory logbook check at check-in, and during the reservation process we will ask you to send a copy of your certification card and log book.
The currents can be extremely strong and we take the safety of our diver guests and dive guides seriously, we therefore kindly request from your side to take our requirements seriously too.
What can I see in Belongas Bay?
From March till the beginning of June the conditions are fairly mild and the water temperature around 27*C/28*C and the visibility 15m-20m+. In June/July the rougher conditions set in, with mid July till mid September posing the most challenging conditions. During this time of the year the average temperature is around 25*C/26*C, but can also drop down to around 22*C for shorter periods of time, the visibility usually at around 8m-15m+. Starting in the second half of September the conditions normally get less challenging again, but the general conditions such as temperature and visibility remain around the same as during the preceding time.
Most of the dive sites are pinnacles sticking out of the surface of the ocean and covered with bright soft corals. The dive sites harbor not only pelagic such as hammerhead sharks, mobula- eagle- and sting rays, white tip reef sharks, barracudas, batfish and sea snakes but also macro life. Nudi branchs, pigmy seahorse and the orang hutan and porcelain crab are only a few of the many different species.
The Belongas dive site Gili Sarang features incredible small creatures such as Harlequin Shrimp, Pygmy Seahorses, a multitude of Nudibranch as well as big fish action. Giant trevalies, mackerels, sweet lips, surgeon fish, and August/September is the best season for schooling mobula- and eagle rays. BIG FUN!!!
THE MAGNET (BATU KAPAL)
The name given to the furthest and most prominent dive site at Belongas (Blongas) Bay, a pinnacle in the open sea with challenging conditions and big fish action! The pinnacle can be reached by boat in half an hour. Located in the open sea, rising up to the surface from 80m, a big surge can be felt down to 15+ meters on challenging days. Divers need to enter the water negatively buoyant and descend quickly to 5-15 meters to encounter tuna, barracuda, while descending deeper to see white- and black tip reef sharks while being on the lookout to spot the hammerheads.
THE CATHEDRAL (GILI ANAK EWOK)
Another signature Belongas dive site, ‘The Cathedral’. It features a large pinnacle with 2 main peaks, and is notable for the schools of eagle rays as well as tuna, mackerel and “Great Barracuda”. Abundant with sea snakes gliding around, thus it is not surprising when a diver spots as many as a dozen during a dive. This pinnacle comes up from around 50m and sometimes offers less challenging conditions than “The Magnet”.